By Walter Ferrer Santos, Alvaro Rittatore
This self-contained creation to geometric invariant idea hyperlinks the idea of affine algebraic teams to Mumford's thought. The authors, professors of arithmetic at Universidad de l. a. República, Uruguay, take advantage of the point of view of Hopf algebra idea and the speculation of comodules to simplify some of the correct formulation and proofs. Early chapters evaluate must haves in commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, and the idea of semisimple Lie algebras. assurance then progresses from Jordan decomposition via homogeneous areas and quotients. bankruptcy workouts, and a word list, notations, and effects are integrated.
Read or Download Actions and Invariants of Algebraic Groups PDF
Similar group theory books
This textbook explains the basic suggestions and strategies of staff thought by way of utilising language widely used to physicists. software how you can physics are emphasised. New fabrics drawn from the educating and examine event of the writer are incorporated. This e-book can be utilized by way of graduate scholars and younger researchers in physics, specially theoretical physics.
This booklet makes a speciality of the illustration idea of q-Schur algebras and connections with the illustration idea of Hecke algebras and quantum common linear teams. the purpose is to provide, from a unified viewpoint, quantum analogs of yes effects recognized already within the classical case. The process is basically homological, in response to Kempf's vanishing theorem for quantum teams and the quasi-hereditary constitution of the q-Schur algebras.
Solomon Lefschetz pioneered the sphere of topology--the examine of the homes of many? sided figures and their skill to deform, twist, and stretch with no altering their form. based on Lefschetz, "If it truly is simply turning the crank, it truly is algebra, but when it has got an idea in it, it really is topology. " The very notice topology comes from the name of an prior Lefschetz monograph released in 1920.
- Group Theory: Birdtracks, Lie’s, and Exceptional Groups
- Groups, Graphs and Trees: An Introduction to the Geometry of Infinite Groups
- Mathematics is not a Spectator Sport
- Representation Theory of Finite Groups: An Introductory Approach (Universitext)
- Six Lectures on Commutative Algebra
Extra info for Actions and Invariants of Algebraic Groups
2) Usually — and the motivation for this abuse of notation will become clear in what follows — if U ⊂ V and s ∈ F (V ), we write s|U = ρV U (s). 24 1. ALGEBRAIC GEOMETRY (3) If X is a topological space a more formal definition of a presheaf on X would be the following. Consider the topology T as a category — viewing it as an ordered set. A presheaf on X is a contravariant functor from the topology into the category of rings. In this interpretation sheaves are functors satisfying certain equalization properties.
Assume that A and B are commutative k–algebras. The maximal ideals of A ⊗ B are of the form M ⊗ B + A ⊗ N for M and N maximal ideals of A and B respectively. Hence, as (abstract) sets Spm(A ⊗ B) and Spm(A) × Spm(B) are isomorphic. See Appendix, Section 3. Let X and Y be affine varieties. Then X × Y, k[X] ⊗ k[Y ] is an affine variety, when we endow the set X × Y with the topology induced by the isomorphism X×Y = Spm k[X]⊗k[Y ] . This topology in general is not the product topology (see Exercise 19).
If Z is an irreducible component of X we have that Z = i=1 (Xi ∩ Z), then, using the irreducibility of Z we conclude that for some 1 ≤ i ≤ n, Z = Z ∩ Xi . Then, Z ⊂ Xi and hence, Z = Xi . 19. The algebraic subset V(XY ) ⊂ k2 (the union of the two coordinate axes) is reducible, with irreducible components V(XY ) = 3. ALGEBRAIC SUBSETS OF THE AFFINE SPACE 19 (0, b) : b ∈ k ∪ (a, 0) : a ∈ k . It is very easy to see that the lines (0, b) : b ∈ k and (a, 0) : a ∈ k are irreducible. The irreducibility of an algebraic set can be completely characterized in terms of the corresponding ideal.